The first settlers of the Sorrento Region were freed slaves from the Delk Plantation at Rock Springs. They homesteaded around Benton Prairie, which was a 13 acre lake located on what we know as the Prevat Ranch, north-east of Orange Ave. and Hwy 46.
In 1875 several northern families settled in this area. The business district was located on Orange Avenue and most of the homes were located between what is now the Sorrento Cemetery Road and north to Wolf Branch Road, mainly because of the many springs and streams that were found in the area.
The first white settler was Mr. Lyons who passed away within two years after moving here from the Zellwood-Tangerine area.